A Senior IT Director and Global Programme Manager, with 22+ years of professional experience and a track record of success in delivering strategic business applications in investment banking. A PRINCE 2 qualified professional with comprehensive skills and experience applied across front office, back-office, risk and product control areas of investment banking. A highly focussed senior IT manager experienced in delivering regulatory and strategic initiatives.
Proven leadership abilities and influencing skills combined with excellent organisational and presentation skills. An effective communicator to senior management, business heads and banking regulators, with the ability to explain complex IT topics to non-technical management. Culturally aware and emotionally intelligent with the ability to engage and inspire exceptional performance.
Leadership & Management
- Excellent leadership in changing and challenging environments – delivering breakthrough results.
- Proven ability to think critically, strategically and analytically, assimilating complex information and making well informed decisions.
- Strong commercial awareness and an ability to steer strategic decisions at senior management level.
- Proactive, decisive and results-focused.
- Builds trust and encourages open and honest discussion with internal and external stakeholders.
- Works collaboratively and positively to create partnerships for mutual benefit.
- A long background of hands-on IT delivery, using various technologies and third party libs including: C++, C#, C, Java, ASP.NET, Tcl/Tk, XML, Sybase, SqlServer, LISP, Prolog and messaging APIs.
- Comfortable and capable in critically discussing detailed technical issues with developers, business analysts and project managers.
- Able to lead and manage Agile & Waterfall based projects and multi-year programs
- Experience of leading vendor systems selection, appraisal and negotiation
- Key contributor to enterprise and architectural design topics at various institutions.
- Market Risk– Stress testing, VaR (Historical Simulation; full revaluation & sensitivity-based methods) and back-testing.
- Counterparty Credit Risk – Assumed Exposure, PFE, EPE, CVA & Monte-Carlo sim methodologies.
- Fixed income derivatives, FX, IR and commodities expertise.
- Product Control – P&L calculation and P&L Explain.
Accounting Control – Calculation of journal entries and feeds to Finance systems
Ph.D. ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE
University of Manchester Institute of Science and Technology (UMIST) Aug 92-Feb 96
M.Sc. COMPUTER SYSTEMS DESIGN
Manchester University Oct 89 – Aug 90
BSc (Hons) COMPUTER SCIENCE (2.1)
Manchester University Oct 86 – Oct 89
PRINCE 2 Practitioner QA Training Aug 2005
Multinational Investment Bank, London
Director Market Risk IT: Global Programme Management
Apr 16 – Present
- Global IT Programme Manager for delivery of Fundamental Review of the Trading Book (FRTB); the latest Basel Committee’s regulation for Market Risk (BCBS 457)
- Responsible for entire IT delivery across all systems from Front Office through to Middle Office and reporting.
- Current annual budget ~CHF22m, covering ~100 resources in 3 global hubs working on ~20 IT systems
- Overall accountability for multi-year, end-to-end delivery and IT budget.
Director Front Office Risk IT: Global Programme Management
May 14– Mar 16
- Global Front Office IT lead for three regulatory initiatives:
- PRA’s FDSF market risk stress scenarios and sensitivities (Mar 14 – May 14).
- FED’s CCAR market risk stress scenarios and sensitivities (Mar 15 – Sept 15).
- PRA’s IMM waiver re-submission for counterparty credit risk (Sept 14 – Mar 15).
- Managing over 10 IT teams, located in 3 global hubs, comprising 84+ resources.
- Responsible for managing a budget in excess of CHF 15m annually.
- Leading deliveries across all IB business lines: FX, Credit, Rates, Equities, CVA & Commodities.
- Senior stakeholder management up to Executive level and Global Head of IT for IB.
- Successfully delivered numerous phases of these programmes to achieve regulatory compliance.
- Led IT delivery to ensure closure of regulatory commitment (to FED & PRA) for ad-hoc stress scenarios.
Universal Bank, London
Director Risk IT: Risk IT, Corporates & Markets
Feb 13 – Apr 14
- Leading the bank’s IT self-assessment in response to the Basel Committee’s BCBS 239 regulatory requirement: Risk Data Aggregation & Risk Reporting.
- Risk IT systems landscape: Credit, Market, Liquidity, Counterparty and Operational Risk.
- Managed budget, and partnered with Risk business project team to deliver final submission.
- Successfully delivered self-assessment and my recommendation for IT investment (EUR ~25mio over 3 years) accepted by senior executives and presented to German banking regulator (BAFIN).
Director Risk IT: Market Risk IT, Corporates & Markets
May 11 – Jan 2013
Accountable to the Global Head of Market Risk for leading a portfolio of projects & IT service delivery.
- Accountable for ensuring all business requirements delivered on-time through the full SDLC.
- Budget management: forecasting, planning and mitigating variance (circa EUR 12mio).
- Ensuring all production risk systems deliver quality of service, accuracy and adherence to SLAs.
- Leading numerous major change programmes: IRC, Stressed VaR, Stress testing and CRC
- Co-developed a Business Case for a strategic, market risk VaR and risk reporting system – project now underway to implement the proposal (3-4 yr programme, ~EUR 27mio).
Started my own recruitment company to provide IT staff, primarily to investment banks.
Oct 09 – Apr 11
- Business development – acquiring new clients and extending current network. Negotiating and agreeing T&C’s with clients and securing PSL engagement.
- Managing expectations, influencing clients and candidates and seeking to broker a deal.
International Bank, London
Project Manager: IB Finance IT
Mar 08 – Jun 09
Responsible for implementing a vendor Accounting Control system for IB business lines (Equity, FX, Structured Rates and Funds).
- Vendor management – organising and leading workshops with the vendor to assess system’s capability to meet the bank’s accounting requirements.
- Constructed and agreed a detailed project plan for the implementation in two hubs (London & HK).
- Represented the IB division in various global governance and steering committee meetings.
- Co-authored and built a business case and developed budget for various phases of project.
- Drafted a logical and physical deployment model for the system implementation.
- Line manager of 6 person team of BAs.
Global Head – Derivatives Product Control IT
Jan 07 – Feb 08
Responsible for all IT systems, staff and budget supporting derivatives Product Control function.
- Leading multiple concurrent projects in 4 hubs (London, NY, HK, and Paris), comprising 30+ staff.
- Responsible for vendor relationship management and contract negotiations
- Delivered a number of strategic and tactical systems, which significantly improved the control and transparency of the business lines’ P&L.
- Management of annual budget of circa EUR 12mio, covering resources, capital expenditure and software licences.
Banking Company, London
Programme Manager: Banking, Treasury and Trade Finance
Mar 06 – Dec 06
- Delivered the implementation of a vendor exchange-traded derivatives settlement, position management and reconciliation system (IR, commodities futures and options), budget USD 4m.
- Led the vendor selection process for a Commercial Loans system (syndicated and bi-lateral loans and distressed debt business).
- Formulating and planning the decommissioning strategy for the bank’s legacy settlement system.
- Managing a RTB team responsible for maintaining the bank’s FX and MM settlement system (Globus).
Project Manager: FO Commodity Trading System
Nov 05 – Feb 06
The aim of the project was to replace the Bank’s legacy energy trading platform with Murex MxG2000.
- Constructed a detailed project plan for the implementation and handover of system.
- Involved in contractual negotiation with vendor (Murex)
- Assembled a team of eight resources. Initiated and led the 1st phase of project
Project Manager: Market Risk VaR & P&L Explain System (Commodities)
Oct 04 – Oct 05
Responsible for delivering a strategic system to replace the Bank’s existing market risk system
- Leading and managing all aspects of the project: definition, planning, requirements management, development, test and had over to production environment.
- Scope included Value-at-Risk, P&L attribution, backtesting, user interface and risk reporting framework.
- Recruited and built a project team of 10- 12 IT staff.
- Led the technical meetings with the FSA, successfully receiving approval under CAD2 model recognition.
- Implementation led to a capital reduction of approx. $37m annually and received Standard Bank’s ‘Best in Service’ and ‘Deal of the Month’ Award.
Head of Risk IT
Mar 04 – Sep 04
Responsibility for Standard Bank’s IB Risk systems:
- Programme management: for the Bank’s Market Risk, Credit Risk and P&L reporting systems (global markets & commodities).
- Stabilised the systems’ performance, strengthened the support team and significantly improved delivery to the various risk business teams.
- Line management responsibility for three teams of developers, comprising 10 people.
ABN Amro Bank, London & Amsterdam
Head of Credit Risk Systems IB Credit Risk IT
Mar 03 – Mar 04
- Programme manager for a portfolio comprising of twelve systems and interfaces to and from ~40 globally distributed systems.
- Managing an annual budget close to EUR 14mio.
- Technical and Business analysis: initiatives presented to senior non-technical business stakeholders.
- IT team lead – leading two IT teams in the delivery of a vendor system to replace a bank-wide legacy credit risk system (overall project budget EUR 70mio over 7 years).
Credit Risk Systems’ Architect: Counterparty Credit Risk IT
Nov 01 – Feb 03
- Technical team lead: responsible for leading a team in the selection of a vendor product for global counterparty credit risk control and reporting.
- Design authority: called upon to recommend design approaches and overall architectural alignment
Senior C++ Developer: Counterparty Credit Risk IT
Jun 00 – Oct 01
Design, development, maintenance and delivery of a number of risk systems’ functions.
- Senior developer – calculating and reporting counterparty credit risk exposures (PFEs and EPEs).
- Building interfaces for trade transmissions, mark-to-market engines and reconciliation.
Senior C++ Developer: Market Risk IT
Jan 99 – May 00
ARMIS was intended to be ABN’s enterprise-wide market risk VaR calculation and reporting system.
- Senior financial engineer, enhancing and developing various analytical algorithms: re-pricing portfolios, historical simulation VaR (full-reval), scenario stress testing and P&L sensitivities.
Project Manager: FO IT Fixed Income
Jun98 – Dec 98
Built, from inception to go-live, a real-time fixed income pricing system for the trading desk.
- Hired and built up a small development team and delivered to schedule and deployed in production to two hubs.
Financial Engineer: FO IT Fixed Income
Mar 97 – Jun 98
Developing, and delivering a FO real-time risk and position management system.
- Server side OO development (C++). Implemented components for financial analytical servers, e.g., derivatives pricing algorithms (options and futures).
- Developed a Visual C++ application for system administrators to control servers at run-time.
Developer: Risk IT
Dec 96 – Mar 97
Developed an interface for feeding FX trades in real-time from FO trading system to credit-risk platform.
- Developed a C++ system to identify, extract, format/enrich and transmit trades into a message format for streaming over a TCP/IP connection.
- Overall responsibility for design, development and end-to-end system testing.