CIO / CTO / IT Director with over 25 years practical experience delivering in Insurance, Financial Services and Travel / Consumer industries. Experience in the successful leadership of major IT and Business change including start-up to launch, greenfield IT, cloud enablement, multi-partner agile programmes, technology and organisational transformation and major programme delivery.
|· Strategic and Operational Management
· Business and IT Programme Management
· Cloud services – Evaluation, architecture, migration, extended adoption (SAAS/PAAS/IAAS)
· Supplier Selection, Negotiation and Partner Management
|· Business and IT Transformation
· Change Management & Process Improvement
· IT Organisational Design and Change Leadership
· Multi-partner, cross geography agile integration and delivery
· Technology submission for R&D Tax Credits
IT Strategic Direction: Devises innovative, fit for purpose strategies aligned to business goals. Drives forward business and IT initiatives delivering improved organisational outcomes and customers experience
Communication: Influential communicator engages with all levels of the organisation; excellent interpersonal skills instilling trust and confidence, disseminating pertinent information in timely and professional manner.
Stakeholder Relationship Management: Manages fundamental cross organisation and partner relationships; entrusted with delivery and governance of IT programmes across European business units liaising with business leaders of all levels and disciplines.
Programme Management: Experienced in defining and delivering complex technology and organisational transformation programmes; coordinating implementation across organisation, managing resources and deliverables
Leadership: Ability to manage resources crossing cultural and geographical boundaries; rebuilding teams following reversal of outsourcing agreements, re-establishing standards and motivating individuals to perform at optimum levels.
Technology: Evidenced ability to define and deliver technology transformation programmes across cloud, greenfield, on-premise and legacy environments
Governance and Controls: Experienced in definition, implementation and operation of effective and pragmatic process and controls frameworks within regulated environments
Risk Management: Defined and delivered risk management frameworks for both operational and opportunity risk and implemented effective approaches to the measurement, review mitigation and ongoing management of risk across IT and business streams
CTO – Director of IT – Financial Services Company (Insurance)
2016 – Current
- Designed and delivered full end to end front and back-office business systems from a greenfield site based on matrix of SAAS and cloud-based capabilities – from design to business launch in 15 months
- Technology platform integrating Azure PAAS, custom middleware, Salesforce, SAAS HR and Finance, customer and distribution web platforms and COTS underwriting and policy administration hosted in Azure IAAS delivered fully integrated registration, sales, operational servicing ecosystem
- Defined delivery and build approach across 5 critical delivery partners, addressing conflicting agile approaches to achieve effective and flexible programme model.
- Extended business capabilities to support market expansion, deliver ongoing improvements to customer and distribution engagement and extended product portfolio through 2019
- Defined and implemented internal and cross-partner delivery approach, applied pragmatic oversight and integration of diverse agile methodologies and rapidly growing business capability ensuring continuous improvement as delivery progressed
- Recruited and led small and flexible IT and Change organisation, leveraging trusted knowledge across matrix of key partners alongside internal leadership and expertise, capable of delivering continuous change while maintaining exceptional levels of operational stability
- Played key role in defining, creating and supporting a fresh and organic employee culture across the organisation with clear focus on maintaining the core tenets as the employee base grew and the organisation moved from design and build into operational maturity following launch
- Simplified Technical architecture and operational practices to mitigate Information and Data security risk at first principles. Implemented a compliant and secure by design approach to minimise requirement for post-implementation controls and governance
- Defined and operated ITIL-aligned operating model for ongoing delivery of IT services
- Defining, delivering and operating cost-effective technology platform, operational processes and contractual relationships to support initial entry and early expansion while accounting for requirements for compliance, operational governance and future scalability
- Definition and delivery of IT strategy to support Business goals, Forecast and P&L management
- Management and delivery of Business programme of change across all programmes (Business and IT outcomes)
- Contract negotiation (across IT and business contracts), supplier management
- Hands-on leadership of Partner delivery, systems integration and IT operations
- Ongoing management and evolution of Architecture and Technology platform
- Completion of architecture and technology submission for R&D Tax Credit claims
- Defining and leading implementation of adaptable risk and decision frameworks to support Management Team risk appetite
- Ensuring integrity of overall business capability across front and back-office functions
- Information Security, Data Management, GDPR compliance
- Supporting initial and ongoing engagement with equity investment community
Executive Director, Infrastructure, Information Security & Service Delivery – Financial Data Services Company
2013 – 2016
- Group-wide IT Operations, Project Change delivery and Information and Cyber Security
- IT Sponsorship and governance of strategic programmes including “Drive for Excellence” process improvement, Flexible Working and IT Transformation initiatives
- Definition, Board Approval and delivery of £55M operational portfolio within the annual IT Strategic Investment Programme
- Information Security investment programme enhancing underlying and active security capabilities across IT and Business functions. Introduced Client Information Security Forum to increase consistency and communication across services Supply Chain
- Transformed under-performing IT Service Delivery capability, introducing ITIL aligned processes and IT Service Delivery Management function tied to Business Account Managers resulting in significant recovery of external and internal customer satisfaction and identifying and promoting new leadership from within existing team
- IT Legacy Transformation programme implementing structured approach to the replacement and retirement of legacy technology and applications with a new architecture delivering to enhanced resilience and recoverability standards while maintaining high operational standards during delivery
CTO, Group Director European Infrastructure – Rental Car Provider
2009 – 2013
- Defined, developed and implemented Pan-European IT strategy, steering business and IT initiatives benefiting external customers and delivering operating cost reductions across independent business units.
- Managing relationship with European Board through trusted membership of European Business Leadership Team.
- Sponsorship and governance of strategic Business and IT programmes including Customer Services consolidation, Smartphone application enhancements to customer journey, PCI compliance and Chip & Pin rollout.
- Defining and managing annual OPEX and CAPEX budgets totalling £20 million; in addition to implementing operational process change programmes achieving audited SOX compliance.
- Successfully implemented £15 million Infrastructure and Operations IT Transformation Programme; centralising matrix European IT functions, consolidating data centres and delivering standardised virtual desktop solution
- Sponsored, defined and delivered IT requirements for market expansion in China; achieved 80% reduction in reservation transaction time – a class leading performance for an International brand in the domestic China market
- Introduced centralised IT supplier management function responsible for pan-European governance of IT suppliers and partners achieving cost reduction of over £750k in first year and enhancing operational relationships
Director of Production Services – Rental Car Provider
2005 – 2009
- Built Enterprise IT hosting environment and associated IT Operations organisation for secure delivery of global e-commerce platform and back-office applications following prior failure of ERP and Infrastructure outsource program
- Turned around disillusioned Central IT Operations function, building new management team and delivering significant improvements in employee and business satisfaction, resulting in improvements to application stability
- Following period of consistent poor performance, in-sourced European IT Servicedesk and transitioned to in-house near shore operations centre in Budapest based on implementation of ITIL aligned best practices resulting in annual cost reduction of £1M and doubling of customer satisfaction
- Delivered step-change in stability and performance of IT platforms, removing IT as an operational risk from European Board agenda
- Restructured Production IT organisation and service model to deliver cost reduction during business and economic downturn while minimizing impact to staff morale and operational performance
2003-2005: Voice and Data Service Manager, Rental Car Provider, UK
2000-2003: Global Voice and Data Services Manager, Novell Inc, Utah USA
1999-2000: Manager of Global Technical Architecture, Novell Inc., UK.
1992-1998: Various IT Operational and Support Roles
Education, Qualifications & Training
2010-2011: Avis Leadership Development Programme, Ashridge Business School & INSEAD
2009: Scotworks Advanced Negotiating Skills
1988-1991: BSc 2(i) Management Science, University College Swansea