About the role
Northreach are seeking an experienced Environmental Health and Safety professional to provide leadership and competent advice to ensure an engaging, safe, healthy and comfortable working environment at our hyper growth Biotech firm in Oxford. This role will work closely with our existing Facilities Operations Manager, collaborate with key stakeholders, and engage with all staff, to advance our client’s overall EHS strategy and ensure timely implementation of required measures.
- Working closely with the leadership team, functional teams and program/project leads, you will oversee and lead all aspects of Environmental Health and Safety to ensure compliance across the organisation.
- Assess ongoing EHS needs, defining long term strategy and providing thought leadership and competent advice
- Champion and inspire a strong culture of EHS within the organisation
- Develop, plan and ensure implementation/integration of applicable EHS policies, procedures, systems and audit/inspections
- Develop and maintain EHS policy, creating best practice, ensuring compliance with applicable laws/regulations, and effective risk management, especially in relation to biological safety, COSHH, Radiation, GMO and HTA/biological samples.
- Oversee and deliver EHS related employee on and off-boarding procedures, SOPs/policies, procedures and guidance, ongoing workplace training/learning requirements, and management of any related 3rd party/outsourced providers
- Partner with functional and operational leads to evaluate current and future space, capacity and operational requirements in line with EHS requirements.
- Evaluate, plan and execute required activities to maintain company facilities in full compliance with terms of lease/licence and all applicable laws & regulations.
What we need
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field (graduate degree an advantage)
- Relevant EHS qualifications / accreditation and experience (NEBSOH Diploma or equivalent)
- Minimum 5 years’ experience overseeing EHS in a management role, in a biotech/life science or regulated healthcare business environment
- Desirable: Minimum 10 years’ experience working in EHS
- Fully conversant with relevant legislation (including but not limited to) biological safety, GMOs, COSHH, Human Tissue Act
- Ability to work cross-functionally, with matrixed teams, maintaining strong relationships with functional business partners
- Strong leadership skills and executive presence; ability to positively influence outcomes
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Possess excellent influencing skills
- Excellent critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Willingness to do what needs to be done in a dynamic environment with a level of pragmatism appropriate for a fast-paced biotech environment
- Experience working in global life science or healthcare setting